I've blogged a bit about the "Utah Mormon" culture that seems to see the world through these rose colored Mormon glasses that make everything look hunky dory, as long as you claim "personal revelation". Like I've said in the past, don't get me wrong, I am a strong believer and supporter of personal revelation; I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father answers prayers and gives answers to those who righteously seek them; however, I see so many people using it as a defense instead of actually using it as intended. Let me explain. I was married at 19. I was engaged at 18. I KNOW that was young, and it was something I prayed about and got revelation about, HOWEVER--I was not going to jump into anything just because I'd been given a green light from the Lord. I took time to be sure that this was the answer I had gotten, and more importantly, I took time to make sure I was asking the correct question. It was not "should I marry David?" with an expected yes or no. It was "I've really thought about being with David for eternity and I feel that we would be a good match. Do you agree?" When I received confirmation of that I took the time to make sure of it. I asked over again because I didn't think it would be a bad idea to be SURE of that answer since this was THE most important decision of my life. After I was sure that Heavenly Father approved of the union I went back into my own mind and made sure it was what I really wanted. I used the mind my Heavenly Father gave me to logically consider all the options, all the pros and cons, the risks and rewards. I thought about my desires for life, my dreams, my hopes, my aspirations, and I thought about how a marriage to David would affect these. I considered what life would be like depending on where and when and IF...I considered the alternatives and how they would affect my life. I thought about factors that would make things more difficult and/or cause more antagonism from friends and family, like my age, and ways that I could get over them. Because of my young age, I had to look at our relationship from an outside perspective, find ways to counteract the apprehension that came from the age issue. The age thing bugged me a little, too. I didn't want to get married right out of high school; it was important to me to have some college behind me. That's the main reason our engagement was so long. In retrospect, I hated waiting so long. I do not recommend it to anyone; however I would hardly recommend a minuscule engagement either. While 15 months is way too long, 3 is way too short in my opinion. Adequate time should be given to get to know someone and to prepare for a wedding and marriage; finances should be taken into account; more should go into planning a wedding date/marriage then just not wanting to wait.
Then there is the flip side. You find people who meet someone, decide within a few hours that they are going to marry them and then two days later when someone asks "Did you pray about it?" they say yes and this is supposed to appease everyone. When people (like me) question that (in Utah, anyway), it's practically blasphemy. You might as well have claimed to be Jesus Christ himself the way people act towards you. Do I doubt that a prayer has been said? Not at all. My apprehension comes because I fear that maybe people are too involved in a relationship to recognize a true answer. This crossed my mind a lot when I was looking for my own personal revelation and that's one of the reasons I asked many many many times and did everything I could to make sure I had really gotten the answer I had gotten. When someone meets someone, prays once, and "gets an answer" I wonder how serious the prayer was. On top of that, I fear about whether the correct question was asked. If the wrong question is asked, how can one expect the "right" answer? When people make mad dashes to the altar and then play the personal revelation card when other people express concern, it should raise red flags. Personal revelation is something that should come after a decision has been carefully thought out; something that confirms what our own logical minds conclude on their own or refutes it and forces us to rethink from a new perspective. When people express concern about a decision we have made, we should be able to logically explain our decision without going immediately to the "personal revelation" response hoping that that will make everyone shut up. This only says (to me at least) that the decision has NOT been carefully thought through, thus the desire to "shut everyone up".
I have some other thoughts about similar items but they will have to wait for another day. Thanks for taking the time to read my rantings.
Beliefs: Special Ed to Architect
9 years ago
2 comments:
Becky, I could not agree with you more. It gets so frustrating to me to see this happen time and time again. My engagement wasn't very long, in face, it was even less than the three months you said was too short... :) However, Mark and I started talking about, praying about, and planning for our marriage several months before we became officially engaged. We were just one of those weird situations. : ) Anyway, I appreciate your openness and willingness to share your thoughts on matters such as these. Also, I've tagged you on my blog! :D Check it out for instructions!
I didn't make this clear enough, but there are technicalities on my opinion of "proper" engagement period. In my mind 3-6 months is ideal for MOST couples. This doesn't take into account, however, how long a couple has known each other OR how long a couple has dated. If you noticed, most of my concerns fell on people who meet and decide to marry in a few weeks, or worse in my opinion, days or even hours. If you have known someone for a long time before dating, it makes a huge difference. Also if you've dated someone for a significant amount of time before engagement, it makes a difference as well. Short engagements only bug me a lot when people haven't dated long and/or haven't known each other very long. Another thing, like you said about planning marriage before engagement...that comes into play as well, as long as you actually spent time getting to know each other before planning a wedding.
I also want to mention that I also do not believe that any of this annoying stuff (short engagements, etc) automatically equals a doomed marriage. I have seen lots of "success stories"; however,I do believe that without proper preparation, people are often asking for trouble, and when it comes to marriage, that trouble can have a devastating effect on the couple as well as their families and future children.
Thanks for the comment, though, it is nice to know someone reads this thing. :)
Post a Comment