Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hi There September

So it occurred to me today that August was simply a wisp of an idea to me. I swear just yesterday it was July 4th or even June something. All of a sudden it's September and I'm sitting here going "Huh? What the heck?" Time flies, I suppose.

Kira came to visit last week and she taught me how to read a knitting pattern. Luckily, I just wanted to knit a baby hat, so the pattern didn't involve some of the harder knitting techniques that an amateur like me isn't ready for. Surprisingly, the hat only took me a couple days to finish. It seems a little big, but even if it doesn't fit a newborn, it will fit eventually. I hope.

You may have seen the photo on Facebook of this hat on our puppy, Daisy. That picture came about because I was trying to take a picture that would show how big the hat actually was. Surprisingly, she allowed me to pull the hat over her ears and she even let me take her picture before shaking it off. My childhood dog, Kipp, would have never held still long enough.







I also finally got around to taking another "pregnancy" photo. I took one at 22 weeks and have been meaning to take another one for some time now. Somehow it ended up being 8 weeks between photos instead of the 2-4 I was planning on. Oh well. For those of you on Facebook, this is the same photo, but here it is again.

Yesterday was a weird day. I got up at 3 for work, which is a "late" day for us. I've decided not to start earlier than 2:15 on a weekday, which means getting up at 2, but we usually are up at 2 or 2:30 on work weekdays, so a day when we don't start until 3:15 is somewhat of a treat. Anyway, I got up at 3 after about 4 hours of sleep. After work, which ended around 9, David and I slept for another 4 hours. We got up and spent some time talking with his brother, Job, and Job's wife, Jessie, then they left and we ate a late lunch (this was about 3:30 by now). Lunch made my stomach a little upset so I laid on my side on the couch to help. This made me sleepy and so I ended up falling asleep around 4:30 and though Daisy licked my face a few times, waking me up temporarily, I ended up sleeping until 8:30. I was supposed to go to a meeting for the new stake provident living website that I signed up to help with at 7, but David woke me at 6:15 and I was so exhausted I couldn't imagine getting up. When I did wake up at 8:30, I was wide awake, which I expected, and I watched a bit of TV and talked to my brother, Jon, on the phone for a bit. Around 10 I went to read scriptures and things with David so he could go to bed. While getting ready for bed my eyes just drooped and I could not keep them open. I fell asleep very quickly and slept until 2:30 this morning when it was time for work this morning.

Normally I would jump to the conclusion that I just slept too much, which lead to that continued feeling of tiredness. However, in the past when I've woken from sleeping too much and felt tired, that feeling of tiredness would go away after a brief time awake (like 20-30 min) and not come back for quite some time. This time it was like sleep was a drug that I could not get enough of. I couldn't even bring myself to wake up enough to eat at dinner time. My second thought would be to blame this on the pregnancy...so my question to you people in the medical field or those who have had children before is this: is that normal? Did anyone else experience this somewhat occasional day of such extreme exhaustion that 12 hours of sleep just didn't feel like enough? I'm hoping it was just a temporary thing. I felt quite guilty for the amount of sleep I got, and I admit it worried me a bit that I slept that much and still felt so sleepy afterwards.

Anyway, hopefully September will linger a little longer so that October won't seem like such a shock. October means only one thing to me: the possibility of Nathan making his entrance. I am considered full term at 37 weeks, which will be October 18th. After that, it's game on. I only HOPE he waits until November so my mom will be here. October also means I have very little time to get the nursery completed and it means time to bite the bullet and actually buy and install the car seat and pack my bag for the hospital. September is all of a sudden a "prepare for October" month....let's hope I remember to breathe.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hey Becky!

Yes I definitely had days like that in my last trimester. I would assume it's totally normal. Your body is doing so much work and plus it's just hard to be that big! I became sort of a recluse in those days. Sittin' on the couch watching movies and daytime television! haha