So in looking for a new camera, there are a few features that I am most interested in. For one, I want a sleek, point and shoot camera. Although I love photography and would enjoy working with a more sophisticated camera, I do not want to carry it around. I need a camera that will take just as good of quality in general, without all the bells and whistles. Plus, I figure with all the baby stuff I'll be carrying around for awhile, a camera I can slip in my pocket or purse will make life much simpler. I want decent megapixels as well. I read that decent 8x10 prints can be made with 6-8 megapixels, but to go bigger you need around 10. Most of the newer cameras are advertising 10-12 anyway, so I've been kind of eyeing 10. Of course, anything would be a step up from my Olympus, but I think 10 is a good way to suit my needs. I would like a camera that can take decent video clips, with sound (the Olympus records video clips up to 30 seconds without sound), and I appreciate standard features like image stabilization and face detection. I also need a faster shutter speed. When Nathan is doing something cool, I want to be able to pick up the camera, get it on, and be snapping pictures without having to wait 30 seconds. One of those speed functions that can take a series of photos in a matter of seconds to show high speed would also be pretty cool. My price range is $300 max, which is another reason to avoid the nicer, more professional cameras.
After some looking around, the one I like the best so far is the Nikon Coolpix S60 (this is the one I ended up putting on the baby registry).

The back is a touchscreen 3.5" LCD, so all the menus and things are touchscreen, minimizing the buttons on the camera and simplifying the look.
One feature I think is cool about this camera is that you can touch a face or object on the screen while taking a picture and it will automatically focus on that object or face. Other reasons I like this camera: It has 10 megapixels, it has in-camera retouch functions including the ability to add your own writing or drawings, it has the main features I want like image stabilization and speed, and it has other little cool functions like smile shutter and blink warning.
One feature I think is cool about this camera is that you can touch a face or object on the screen while taking a picture and it will automatically focus on that object or face. Other reasons I like this camera: It has 10 megapixels, it has in-camera retouch functions including the ability to add your own writing or drawings, it has the main features I want like image stabilization and speed, and it has other little cool functions like smile shutter and blink warning.I realize there a several of you out there who know much more about digital cameras, photography, and finding good quality products for the best price in general. Please feel free to share your comments and opinions, but please be kind. (I don't think I can handle any comments about how lame this camera is and how lame I am for liking it!) I would also appreciate any suggestions if you know of another camera that has the features I like and is in my price range. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. Thanks for the input!
6 comments:
I have an older model Nikon Coolpix and I LOVE it. My dad has a newer Nikon Coolpix (but older than the one you are looking at) and he loves his too. That's all I can tell you.
I'm very disappointed with the comment turnout on this blog. COME ON, PEOPLE, THIS IS SAD!!!
Because the exact camera is available with the best price at Sam's Club lets keep them in focus and maybe we can get it there when they get more in.
I don't know about the Coolpix, but I have a Fujifilm FinePix and it is way too slow to get good pictures of kids. Most are blurry because kids move too fast. I need the lens fixed on my better SLR!
The only experience I have with cameras is with Canons. They are really great cameras and last a long time but the one you have posted here looks pretty good. I would check what type of memory card it has so that it will be compatible with your computer.
As for megapixels, I seriously doubt you'd need 10...that's pretty high and will take a lot of memory on your computer and take longer to upload and e-mail. And megapixels are useless if the lens sucks. Definitely see if you can find some user reviews of the cameras you like (just google the camera name and "reviews" or something like it) because they will hopefully tell you how it has performed in different environments (lower light, action, outdoors, etc.) as well as things like battery life. Basically, you want a camera that does well in the environments and situations you see yourself using it in the most.
Post a Comment