Wednesday, July 9, 2008

OOOOKKKKK

So I really don't know what to post about but it's been a week so I figure I should write something. I guess I can blog about our campout although I didn't take any pictures (trust me, there wasn't much to take pictures of...)

So David, Nick, Chelsea and I left around 4ish on Thursday, the 3rd. It took about 2 hours to get to Wendover and the three of us not driving spent most of the trip playing Monopoly on my Ipod. (We didn't finish.) When we reached Wendover we walked through several casinos to find a good buffet because Nick kept telling us how cheap they were, however it must have been a while since he was there because every single one was $15-16 per person. I don't know about you, but that is RIDICULOUSLY expensive for a buffet. I mean, even Hometown is only, I don't know, $9 a person. Anyway, we passed on the buffets and went to Burger King instead (I wasn't super hungry anyway and wasn't about to pay $15 for one plate of food since I knew I couldn't eat any more than that). I just got a Whopper Jr. and I was full. After dinner we went to the KOA, which was right down the road. It's funny, I KNEW I was in the desert and yet I wasn't prepared for what I saw. Just picture a large dirt parking lot for RVs. Around the perimeter of this parking lot is a wood fence. There are sections divided off with more wood fence and a small corner of each section has a lean-to-like roof over top of a pint size picnic table. On the other side of each section is a giant sandbox. There is not a single tree within 100 feet, no cement, no blacktop, just sand and dirt. However, before we get too bad-western-movie, there are several casinos less than a mile away with pretty bright lights so we never felt too far from civilization. So we get there and check in, where they asign us to "tent site" (giant sandbox) J-11. We're thinking "oh geez, thank HEAVENS we brought our own firewood!" We also pass the pool, which looks a gross shade of green. Oh boy.

So we start setting up camp. Amber has loaned us her family tent, so we set it up in the giant sandbox. We also dragged another picnic table over because one only seats about 4 people comfortably. Then we notice their "fire pit" is this little hole in the ground with iron bars over it and it is way too close to the fence, not to mention it is partially underneath the lean-to cover of the picnic table. So we went around and found several medium size rocks and made our own fire circle (which apparently was against the rules). I pulled the one picnic table out a little and then covered both with a long patriotic table cloth. I believe we then decided to brave the pool. The good news is that we found the water wasn't that gross. Apparently some idiot decided that since the KOA sign was on the bottom of the pool, the entire inside of the pool should be painted yellow to match the sign. Throw in some blue water and BAM you have a nasty looking pool. So we were able to cool off without feeling like we would be covered with slime. However the filters were rarely used (if at all) and so there was lots of sand/dirt/leaves etc floating on the top. At least they had a skimmer.

We swam for awhile then showered (another nice perk to KOAs) then went back to camp. After a while Chris and Amber showed up but they didn't stay long as they went to get food and ended up staying out for hours. When they came back we all sat in the tent and talked. After everyone else fell asleep I had to go to the bathroom so I asked David to come with me. We started talking and ended up staying up a few more hours. We finally went to bed and I tried to sleep but sleeping on the sand isn't as comfortable as you might think. At least it wasn't so blazing hot. However as soon as the sun came up it was awful. Luckily, right outside the tent was a shadow from Chelsea's GMC Jimmy so a bunch of us sat there to eat breakfast because it was significantly cooler. The boys left to find a good place to shoot off fireworks and the girls all went to the pool. We talked and stayed cool for several hours. The boys found a spot then decided to go lizard hunting. Joy. They came back with a horny toad. Crazy loons. Anyway, they came to join us in the pool after that and we stayed there a bit until Michael showed up with our lunch (hot dogs). We went back to camp and ate then decided to go play poker in the game room. This was a great place because it boasted an air conditioner and a TV (reception sucked). So we played poker until Chris and Amber bailed and then Nick and Chelsea decided they wanted to go get dollar chips from all the casinos. I would have gone but I had a terrible earache so I laid on the couch and waited for them to come back with some medicine. Michael stayed with me and read his book while I tried to watch NCIS. David came back with medicine (he had gone with Nick and Chels) and that helped a bunch. The two of us went swimming again (I didn't put my head in the water) and Michael came and read by the pool. Nick and Chels decided to nap and we still had no idea where Chris and Amber were. However there were clouds and the temp dropped enough that we were too cold so we went and showered and changed. Then we went back to camp and started with foil dinners. Chelsea and I cut up veggies and David called Chris and Amber until one picked up their cell to tell them to come back for dinner. (Don't even get me started on how annoyed I was that they took every opportunity to leave the group.) They turned out pretty good, I was impressed. After dinner we went and played Apples to Apples in the A/C until it got dark enough to leave for fireworks. Nick, Chris, and David put on the show for the rest of us. I videotaped a bunch of them for Michael's girlfriend, Cheri, who couldn't make it, but also to see if the boys would do something funny enough to sent to AFV. Chris almost killed himself a few times but other than that it was fun. We came back and after a bit of annoying drama and a few ghost stories we went to bed. By morning I was ready to go. We took camp down and checked out by 9am. Everything was soooo sandy. Chelsea, David, and I finished our Monopoly game and it took almost the entire 2 hours. Chelsea was about to win several times but I think David won in the end. When we got home we showered and started putting stuff away. Nick and Chelsea went home also and showered and then came back and we took them out to lunch at Chile's. After that we went home and played some Pirate's Dice, then they went and got a movie and stuff for Root Beer Floats. We had those and watched "The Eye". It was an OK movie.

Sunday was church and resting, Monday I cleaned the entire apartment. I vaccuumed and washed all the non-carpeted floors, got all the camping stuff put away, did dishes, everything except the guest room because it needed more time. Yesterday I had an interview with the Syracuse branch of the Davis County Library. I'll know by today whether I got the job. Cross your fingers.

Dang this ended up being long and probably REALLY boring. I am working on all the plans for Ohio right now and making sure I have everything I need. We're going to the temple on Saturday but other than that no big plans.

7 days baby!

No comments: