Monday, May 19, 2008

Rollercoaster Weekend

I hope I can collect my thoughts enough to make them coherent here. I guess I'll start with Friday. I wasn't feeling as well as I would have liked so I stayed home instead to going to the city. I was feeling better, though, and had Chris drive me to Salt Lake to meet David which was a bit of an adventure in itself because the transmission in Chris's car is starting to freak out and we definitely had to pull over when his gas pedal stopped working on the entrance ramp to I-215. Anyway, he took me to Michael's and I waited only ten or so minutes for David. Then we drove around looking for food and David drove me to the site of the house where he grew up (until he was five and it burned down) which is also next door to the apartment he was born in (his aunt lived there at the time). It was kind of cool to see where he was born and everything, although it was weird and I know it didn't look like it did 26 years ago. As it turns out this house is only a few blocks from where Michael Carey currently lives. (Michael lives in West Valley and the house/apartment are in Taylorsville.) Anyway, after that we settled on KFC and then made our way to the hockey game. Our seats were great except that we were right next to the visiting teams bench so anytime the puck was on the left side of the ice we couldn't see a thing. They had a jumbotron like screen that had the game on it so we could watch but needless to say we moved within a few minutes. Overall it was a fun game although it would have been better if we were rooting for Las Vegas because they were a much better team and ended up winning 5-2. We found out this was a playoff game and that because of our loss, it was the last game of the season for us. They had a trophy ceremony for Las Vegas and everything. Talk about good timing. We got home late and went to bed.

Saturday we weren't in any rush. David was expecting his cold (aren't I nice??) to really kick in but it didn't hit him full force yet and so he said he felt well enough to us to keep our commitment to go to the temple. By the time we got up, dressed, ate, and did a few other things it was about 2 or so. We decided to go to the Jordan River Temple because I had never seen it and since we're so close to so many temples we like to try different ones. My nose was still a little uncooperative but we managed just fine. We got all the names done that my grandma had sent including three sealings to parents, which was nice because they just got some people and did just those three for us instead of having us do a whole session. The names were Hungarian and the sealer was from Germany so he knew how to pronounce the names very well. It was really cool. Anyway, on the way back from the temple we decided to go to dinner and I had been craving this mango chicken salad from Costa Vida, so we went there. Then we decided to go to the movies because we were all feeling pretty good and I had two rainchecks for the local theather that I needed to use (When the Carey's were in town, Kira and I went to see Emma Smith: My Story and the projector was shaky and the music sounded like it was being played through water so I complained; hence the rainchecks) so we all saw Prince Caspian. I liked it a lot and thought it was one of the best sequels I'd ever seen. I think I liked it as much as the first although I think I'm still partial to the first one. David told me when we got home that his throat had started to bother him during the movie.....uh oh.....

So Sunday morning comes, our third anniversary, and David is sick as can be. He's running a fever, sniffling, sneezing, breathing out of his mouth, the works. I am feeling OK but still more like 90%. I decided to stay home to take care of him...plus the fact that going to church alone didn't sound much fun. I got him medicine and made him some macaroni and cheese and we watched a movie in our bedroom together. I read to him a bit and then he went to bed. I went back to the kitchen but found that the more I stood the more exhausted I felt and my nose was still bugging me a bit. I ended up resting on the couch with some tea, trying to keep myself from aggravating this sickness anymore. David came out later and we watched A Knight's Tale. I periodically checked my e-mail also...waiting for the you-know-what to hit the fan because "the response" had been sent. Still no word yet...I wonder how long it will last.

So around 10 or 11 David and I get into bed and read our scriptures. The last few nights my brain has decided that bedtime is prime time to kick into overdrive and last night was no exception. Ideas, worries, scenarios, questions, anything and everything was running through my brain at top speed. Usually this lasts a bit until I get sleepy. Sometimes if I don't get sleepy I'll read and so I decided to do just that. Kira had told me I needed to read this book called Twilight and I had read the first few chapters over the last several days. So I picked it up and started to read. Next thing I knew it was 2am and I just couldn't put it down! I thought "one more chapter" but the time just flew by and I barely even felt a hint of a droopy eyelid. At 3:30 I decided to relocate to the living room because I was keeping David up with my lamp. So I left and I read and I read and I read. I finished the book (450+ pages) by around 8am. Now it's 9:30 and I still haven't slept. David is still sick so he's home from work today. I checked on him a bit ago and put him back in bed. He's sleeping now, poor guy. He should feel better in another day or two I expect. Anyway I suppose I'll crash at some point...but that book was really intense. For those of you who are not familiar, it's about a seventeen-year-old girl who falls in love with a boy at school (also 17) and he turns out to be a vampire. It sounds silly but she makes him so humanlike that you fall in love with them like any well written character. It was such a romantic relationship full of love and true caring....and then there's suspense and drama that makes it impossible to put down. I guess it's the first in a four book series (the fourth book isn't even out yet...I think it comes out in August?). I'm excited to read the rest. I don't think it's my favorite book but it's definitely on the list.

I've decided I really want to try harder to find a job, but it's hard not to be as picky as I want to be. Especially about pay....I'm still praying trying to find something I actually enjoy. I feel like I'm in limbo when it comes to my dad. I wish something would happen so we could deal with it and move on. I hate all this waiting and avoiding.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I just thought I'd leave a comment from my iPod...how cool is that?

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

I love, love LOVE Twilight. Well, like you said, it's not my favorite book, you know, but definitely hard to put down. And Becky, you must continue the series. New Moon and Eclipse are just as good. The library should have them if you don't want to buy them, but I was glad I bought mine because I have read them a few times now... :) The same author has another book out as of a few weeks ago called The Host, and it's really good, too. More Sci-fi and Adult fiction rather than for teens. (though really, I haven't met many women my age who have heard of Twilight and not devoured it...) Ok, enough from me on that. I'm glad you're feeling better!